Computer Science Institute
The Computer Science Institute (formerly Computer Science Department) has been established in 2002. The research activity involves four main areas of Computer Science, where specific research topics are investigated:
- Artificial Intelligence: Machine Learning and Intelligent Data Analysis, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Intelligent Decision Support Systems, AI in Medicine.
- Computer Systems and Networks: Formal methods for Reliability, Dependability and Performance Evaluation, Distributed Systems, Cloud Computing.
- Computer Forensics: Methods for the management of digital evidence.
- Computer Security: Protocols for computer security and for the management of digital attacks.
- Formal Methods for Description and Semantics of Languages and Systems: Web Programming Languages and Services, Type Systems.
- Advanced Algorithmics: Text Compression and Indexing, Bioinformatics
Research activity is performed through partecipation to regional, national or international projects which are the main funding opportunity for the department activities.
Very often such projects involves more than one research area and allow a synergic interaction among the department members.
The Computer Science Institute is reasearch Unit of CINI (Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per l'Informatica), an Italian consortium involving 24 Universities and performing basic and applied research (thorugh national or international projects) in computer science. Moreover, the department also hosts a research unit of
CNIT (Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni), another Italian consortium of 35 Universities, conducting research in the field of telecommunication networks. The department has a strict collaboration with the PhD program of the Computer Science Department of the University if Torino, thorugh the presence of several of his members in the PhD committe of the school.
The institute is also involved in projects involving the implementation of information services for UPO, in particular the institute (through its technical staff) manages the E-learning platform of UPO and collaborates to the management and maintenance of the UPO internal network.
The Institute is the UPO reference structure for the ICT Innovation Cluster of Regione Piemonte.